While neutering and spaying pets have been hot topics on the Internet, it's crucial to understand the importance of having this procedure—removing the ovaries in females and testicles in males—done for your pet. As your trusted veterinarian in Noblesville, we want to emphasize why you should spay and neuter your pet. If you have any questions or need to schedule an appointment, don't hesitate to call Hamilton Hills Animal Hospital.
Why Spay or Neuter?
Many pet owners do this to prevent their pets from having an unplanned litter, thus reducing the already overcrowded pet population. Even with recent progress, there are still millions of unwanted innocent pets getting euthanized every year. You can make a difference by getting your pets neutered or spayed, preventing unwanted animals and setting your pet up for a longer and healthier life.
What Are the Behavioral Benefits?
Behavioral benefits include:
- Decreases in sex hormones
- Elimination of heat cycles
- Lowering of breeding instincts
- Reduction in urine-marking behaviors
What Are the Health Benefits?
Numerous health benefits include:
- Prevention of serious diseases
- Spaying female cats and dogs prevents uterine infection
- Spaying female cats and dogs lowers the risk of breast cancer
- Neutering males eliminates testicular cancer
- Neutering males reduces the risk of developing enlarged prostate glands (benign prostatic hyperplasia)
Do I Have Any Options?
You do have options that you can discuss with our veterinarian at Hamilton Hills Animal Hospital in Noblesville, IN. We will discuss the procedures and decide which is best for your pet. Some options include:
- Ovariohysterectomy (Spay) — Removes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus, making the female unable to reproduce.
- Ovariectomy — Another option, which involves removing the ovaries and leaving the uterus.
- Orchiectomy (Neuter) — Male pets get their testicles removed, rendering them unable to reproduce.
Like with any major surgery, there are risks, but they are low. During the consultation, your doctor will discuss the procedure, risks, medication, and aftercare instructions with you.
Get More Spay and Neuter Tips Today!
Learn more pet care tips with our veterinarian at Hamilton Hills Animal Hospital in Noblesville. You can trust that your pet is in the best care possible, whether it's a routine appointment or major surgery. Are you looking for a veterinarian near you? If you have any questions or want to book a consultation, call our team today at (317) 770-1111. You can also visit our website to learn more about our team, adoption tips, caring for a senior pet, and more. We look forward to your visit!