Be Careful of Toxic Plants
In the warm weather, our pets spend more time outside. Flowers and plants are in bloom and for all their beauty, some of them are toxic to our pets. It would be wonderful if you could look at a plant, flower or bush and know that it is poisonous, but you cannot. You must make yourself aware of which plants are toxic and exactly what they look like. When you live in Noblesville, IN, Hamilton Hills Animal Hospital is the place to go for complete veterinary services.
Many plants are toxic, way too many to list. It is best not to allow your pet to ingest any plant material. One exception is grass which has not been shown to adversely affect your pet. Dogs are quite fond of it. Some of the toxic plants may surprise you. "An apple a day keeps the doctor away” but the leaves seeds or stem of an apple are toxic to your dog or cat, they contain cyanide.
If you are like many people you enjoy growing your own vegetables and tomatoes are one of the most popular. The leaves and stems contain poison and while it would take quite a lot to cause serious damage to your pet, small amounts can certainly cause dietary tract distress. Daffodils are the harbingers of spring, but they are toxic to both cats and dogs. All parts of the plant from blossom to the bulb are a hazard. Lilies can be toxic to cats as well.
Treating Plant Toxicity
First and foremost, try to prevent your pets from having access to toxic plants. If the worst happens, call your veterinarian immediately and be ready to rush them to the office. Symptoms vary and can be mild all the way to convulsions and death in extreme cases.
Veterinary Services in Noblesville, IN
At Hamilton Hills Animal Hospital our team is dedicated to helping our clients to keep their pets happy and healthy. We also offer emergency and urgent care including accidental poisoning from plants and other toxic substances. Give our office a call to set up an appointment for your pet at 317-770-1111.